It’s been a busy day for me, firstly I was delighted to go on Newstalk this morning to chat to the lovely Pat Kenny about healthy school lunches. For those of you that missed it, I had a number of suggestions that I believe work very well and with my own two children I have tried and tested many methods to get them to include some goodness into those lunchboxes.
Here are my top tips.
- Watch portion size with children, the smaller the child the smaller the portion
- Include finger friendly food and try to pre-peel the fruit etc and chop it up into bite size pieces
- Substitute sugar for dried fruit snacks that are tasty and healthy
- Have a designated shelf in the fridge for school lunches making it easy to prepare in a hurry
- Always have shredded chicken, ham or cooked meat for sandwiches available as it’s s lot easier to manage
- Get the children involved in the decision making process by including them in preparation
- Use brightly coloured food with nice texture that looks appealing
- Most schools are strict on treats anyway but ensure they are getting their nutrition balance correct
- Watch for the sugar content in processed foods and avoid this by making homemade soups or sauce for pasta to use in a thermo lunchbox
So with that mind I will leave you with the link to the recipes I covered today with Pat that can be found on Newstalk along with the video that I appeared in that aired to many millions of Chinese earlier this week that was put together to highlight Ireland and all it’s fantastic tourist attractions and beauty spots, food and culture. I was proud and happy to showcase Irish food and chat to the fabulous film crew that visited us here at Ballyknocken Cookery School.
So have a lovely weekend and I will leave you with a photo of myself and the lovely Pat Kenny, thanks for having me on the show Pat.