Happy New Year from all of us here at Ballyknocken House & Cookery School and I hope you enjoyed a fantastic Christmas and a well deserved break. I am excited for the year ahead and all the plans we are ‘cooking up’……. pardon the pun !. The Cookery School opens its doors again on the 16th of Jan with Super Foods for Super People. I am sure that one will be a hit considering its the right time for a new year and new you.
It really is a great class as our budding chefs learn all about how to use these power packed super ingredients in everyday cooking for all the family.
We are going Italian then on Sunday the 17th with our always popular Southern Italian class, with such Italian gems like Caponata, Fresh Pasta and Open Ravioli with wild Mushroom & Chicken Sauce, Polpette de Melanzane, Char Grilled Squid and our delicious Amaretto Truffle Torte to name but a few.
This class comes complete with tasting plate/ light lunch. If you would like a full list of all our classes you can find them here on our cookery calendar.
In the spirit of Super Foods, I am including this week a recipe for a gorgeous salad that is so feel good it’s amazing !
Warm Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Cabbage Salad
A warm “feel good “ salad that is so simple to prepare. The butternut squash is a good source of Vitamin A as well as fibre and potassium. By adding the orange zest to the dressing one does not need any salt.
1 small butternut squash, cut into wedges
1 red apple, sliced into wedges
1 tsp honey
½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive
½ red cabbage, thinly sliced and blanched
Pepper for seasoning
For the dressing
1 orange, juice and zest
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
A little black pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
Preheat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas 4.
- Sprinkle the cumin and honey over the butternut squash and roast for about 30 minutes until lightly golden and cooked. Add the apple wedges about 10 minutes before the end of the roasting time.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil, sauté the red cabbage.
- To make the dressing, combine the orange juice, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Place the roasted butternut squash, and red cabbage in a large bowl, drizzle with some of the dressing.
- Spoon on a serving platter, arrange the apple wedges, drizzle over a little more dressing.
- Sprinkle over the hazelnuts and the basil leaves.
- Serve immediately
Tip: Try adding crispy pancetta or even pumpkin seeds.