This is just gorgeous for those cold winter nights to enjoy with the family and its packed full of goodness too
Butternut Squash and Beef Casserole
This is from my Family Kitchen Cookbook (G&M) and although Butternut squash and beef might not be the first combination that springs to mind, but they do work very well together and are very colourful for presentation. Add more veg such as red pepper or carrots if you wish…
700g round steak, trimmed and diced
100g seasoned flour
Extra virgin olive oil
3 red onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
1 yellow pepper, roughly chopped
2 sprigs of thyme
650ml beef stock
3 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Steamed rice or garlic Mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Toss the beef in the seasoned flour in a Ziploc bag and shake the beef until coated. Remove the beef from the bag and shake off the excess flour.
- Heat some oil in a casserole over a medium heat and add the beef in batches. Brown well on both sides and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the casserole. Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and sauté for 8–10 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the diced butternut squash, peppers, thyme, stock, tomato purée and balsamic vinegar and return the beef to the casserole.
- Cook in the oven for 1 1⁄2 hours or until the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Check for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as required, and serve.
Prepare this a day or two ahead. As with all casseroles, the flavours improve over time