on Saturday 30th August, I was on the Marian Finnucane show chatting about healthy family meals, it is always a joy to chat with Marian. It has been so lovely receiving all your tweets and private messages looking for the recipes since Saturday in particular the stir fry I mentioned and the pasta bake. I’m always happy to share these recipes with everyone and I hope you enjoy making them as much as I do.
Ginger Chicken Noodle Stir fry
A stirfry is always an easy way out for that quick midweek dinner. Add as many vegetables as you can get the children to eat! The ginger gives a good warmth and energy.
2 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp honey
2cm fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 medium chicken fillets, thinly sliced
4 medium egg noodle nests
1 medium red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally or lengths
8 baby corn, sliced into lengths
4 spring onions, sliced into lengths
1 pak choi, roughly chopped
100g beans, sliced lengthways
1 tbsp soy sauce
1½ to 2 tsp rapeseed oil
1 lime, sliced into wedges, for garnishing
1. Combine the five spice powder, honey, ginger and soy sauce together in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the sliced chicken and leave for 5 minutes.
2. In the meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packaging. Drain and run under cold water and set aside.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a large wok over a high heat, add the chicken and stir fry for about 4 to 5 minutes, tossing around the wok until cooked. Remove from the wok and set aside. Add a little more oil to the wok, heating over a medium heat.
4. Add the red chilli and corn and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the spring onions and pak choi, stir fry for 1 minute before adding the beans and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Return the chicken into the wok and heat for about 1 minute. Add the noodles and check the seasoning, add a dash of soy sauce and squeeze of lime if required. Serve with a few lime wedges.
Tip: Add handfuls of spinach as it is a good source of vitamin C.
Chicken Florentine Bake
150g shell pasta
150g cooked chicken, shredded
1 onion, finely chopped
75g baby spinach
100g frozen peas
100g white cheddar, grated
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped parsley
Olive oil, extra virgin for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas 6.
2. Sauté the onion in a little olive oil until softened and set aside.
3. Melt the butter and flour together and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Gradually stir in the milk and allow to thicken.
5. Add the mustard, salt and pepper.
6. First mix the pasta with the sauce
7. Sprinkle the spinach leaves over the base of the oven proof dish and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Spoon over the onion and peas. Add the chicken.
9. Pour over the pasta
10. Sprinkle over the cheddar cheese and a little parsley.
11. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.