The August bank holiday weekend is here, it is all go at Ballyknocken House and Cookery School!
With the great weather we have had lately, I am sure all the barbeques will be out in force! Stuck on an idea for a dessert to serve after? Many thanks to @jenn_jenn_w for her SOS tweet and inspiring me to share this family favourite of mine.
Strawberry Meringue Bake
Strawberries, my most family’s favourite. This is quick and can’t be easier. Strawberries are full of Vitamin C. Sprinkle a few almond flakes over the top for a change.
For the strawberry filling
300g strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
4 tbsp golden caster sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
4 tbsp blue berries, optional
For the meringue
3 egg whites
120g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 6
2. Combine the strawberries, sugar, orange juice and blue berries if you
are using them in a pan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Spoon into individual heatproof serving bowls.
4. To prepare the meringue, using an electric beater, whisk the egg
whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peak stage. Add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking until the meringue becomes thick and glossy.
5. Spoon or pipe over the strawberry.
6. Bake for about 5 – 6 minutes – keeping an eye on it.
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Tip: Be careful the strawberries retain their heat so allow them to cool for a good while. This also give the strawberries time to macerate in the orange juice. Grate a little orange zest and fold into the meringue.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND !!