Roasted Stuffed Peppers
I particularly like stuffed peppers as a starter, for lunch or simply for my vegetarian day. The sweetness of the roasted red peppers works well with the savoury filling. Sometimes
I use feta instead of mozzarella – I admit it’s not Italian, but it’s delicious in the peppers.
2 red peppers
extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100g buffalo mozzarella, roughly chopped
3 anchovies, finely chopped (optional)
8 cherry tomatoes, diced
1 tsp chopped oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 black olives, sliced
2 tsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
green salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Halve the peppers, including the stalks. Remove the membrane and seeds. Brush a
baking tray with olive oil and place the peppers on it, cut side up.
3. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Cook the onion on a low heat for 7–10 minutes, until sweet in flavour. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Transfer the onion and garlic to a bowl. Add the mozzarella, breadcrumbs, anchovies, cherry tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a little oil and mix well.
5. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture into the peppers. Add the olives on top. Sprinkle with parsley and some olive oil.
6. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the peppers are fully cooked through. Serve with a green salad.
If you aren’t partial to olives, replace them with some
freshly grated Parmesan.
FUN FACT: Red peppers are ripened green peppers and are distinctly sweeter.
Recipe from Catherine’s Italian Kitchen, Catherine Fulvio
Publisher: Gill & Macmillan