I think every house in Ireland has a jar of Peanut Butter hiding in a cupboard, a staple for any school lunchbox. Saturday March 1st is National Peanut Butter Lovers Day, it is so popular is has a second day – National Peanut Butter Day which is on January 24th. For the day that is in I have shared with you a Ballyknocken Cookery School recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting.
Before we get cooking here is some Peanut Butter trivia:
- Peanuts are actually not nuts but legumes grown underground.
- Peanut butter dates back to Aztec times.
- More than half of the American peanut crop goes into making peanut butter.
- U.S. presidents Jimmy Carter and Thomas Jefferson were peanut farmers.
- In 1884 Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Canada patented peanut paste.
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a small jar of peanut butter
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the cupcakes:
70g caster sugar
70g unsalted butter, softened
1 egg, lightly beaten
70g self raising flour
40g dark chocolate, melted
2 tbsp milk
For the peanut butter frosting:
60g butter, softened
100g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180CFan 160C/Gas 4. Line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk in the beaten egg.
- Fold in the flour and melted chocolate and carefully stir in the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for about 12 – 15 minutes. They should be risen and golden brown and when a skewer is inserted into the middle it should come out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make the peanut butter icing, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together using an electric whisk until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and whisk adding a little milk until the mixture is light and smooth.
- When the cupcakes are cool, decorate with the peanut butter frosting.