Oven-baked Pancetta, Sausage & Red Pepper Risotto
This is my recipe for “Irish fry meets Italian classic”, it’s an easy and delicious family favourite
100g pancetta (or streaky bacon), diced
4 Italian sausages (or Irish breakfast sausages, if Italian unavailable)
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
300g Arborio rice
1 carrot, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
3 tbsp chopped parsley
750ml chicken stock
1 x 400g tin of cherry tomatoes
100ml dry white wine (optional, buy very nice!)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve: parmesan shavings
1. Grill or fry the sausages until fully cooked, then slice into 1cm rounds
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160 Fan/ Gas 4.
3. Heat some oil in a casserole dish over a medium heat. Cook the pancetta for approx 3 minutes, until fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the onion and red pepper to the pan and sauté on a low heat for 7–10 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice, carrots, celery, sliced sausages and parsley. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, stirring from time to time. Return the pancetta to the pan.
5. In a separate pan, heat the chicken stock, wine and tomatoes, then add to the casserole dish. Stir and cover tightly with foil or a lid.
6. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 45 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is just tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings and drizzle with some olive oil
Photo: Oven-baked Fennel Sausage and Tomato Risotto from ‘Catherine’s Italian Kitchen’ cook book.
Photo Credit: Harry Weir