Happy Halloween to everyone. Hope you all have a great day and of course I do hope the trick-or-treating proves to be fruitful. I have shared with you a favourite Italian style Halloween Recipe of mine below. C x
Roast Pumpkin & Red Pepper Cannelloni
A delicious vegetarian option, this recipe does seem long but it is well worth the time spent. If you haven’t cannelloni tubes just roll use lasagne sheets.
For the filling
2 onions, finely chopped
150g pumpkin, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jar roasted red peppers
500g baby spinach
250g ricotta cheese
For the sauce
80g plain flour
650ml milk (optional ½ vegetable stock and ½ milk)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 cannelloni tubes
A little melted butter, for greasing dish
100g grated parmesan
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- For the filling, heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions and pumpkin until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the spinach to the pan and allow to wilt. This will take a minute or two. Place the spinach in a colander, squeeze and allow to drain.
- Add the spinach to the garlic and pumpkin followed by the ricotta and mix well.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the mixture. Check for seasoning adding salt and freshly ground black pepper as required.
- To make the sauce, combine the butter and flour and cook, stirring over a low heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk continuously until almost boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste and set aside.
- Brush an ovenproof dish with a little melted butter and spread a little white sauce in the base of the dish.
- Fill the cannelloni tubes with the filling using a piping bag. Layer the tubes in the dish and pour over the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden and serve.
Keeping it local: Combine Janet’s Beetroot Relish with cream and spinach for a stuffing to the cannelloni.