It is finally National Potato Day! This is a great reason to celebrate our favorite food in Ireland – the humble spud. Here is my recipe for a healthy fish dish for the Friday that is in it.
Patatas Bravas with Roast Cod
This will bring back the sunny holiday memories and teamed up with roast cod makes a really delicious main course for a dinner party. The sauce can be made ahead of time so all the wonderful flavours can develop. Use Pinks as a prefered potato as they are great for chips and give a good crispness when roasted for this dish.
For the sauce
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
2tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp sweet paprika
¼ tsp chilli powder
Pinch of brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the potatoes
1kg Kerrs Pink potatoes, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
4 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
For the roasted cod
4 x 100g cod fillets, 3cm thick
1 lemon, juice
1 tbsp chopped dill
Olive or rapeseed oil
Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
1 lemon, sliced thinly in half, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, add the onion and saute for about 6 minutes until softened but not brown.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree, paprika, chilli powder, sugar and salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Pour the oil into a roasting pan and heat in the oven for about 2 minutes. Do take care when taking out of the oven. Spread the diced potatoes into a roasting tin.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing the potatoes from time to time until they are crisp, golden and cooked.
- To roast the cod, drizzle a little olive oil into a roasting pan, heat the pan in the oven for 2 minutes, carefully place the cod fillets into the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle over the lemon juice and dill and roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the fish is cooked. Test this bycarefully inserting a knive into the fish and flaking it away.
- Tip the potatoes into a serving plate, spoon over the tomato sauce.
- Place the roasted cod fillets on top of the potato and sauce. Place lemon slices over the cod fillets. Garnish with flat leaf parsley. Serve immediately.
Tip: Add finely chopped chives or lemon zest over the diced potatoes for a great accompliment for the Sunday roast dinner or even serve a tapenade over and then the cod fillet.