Roasted Aubergine, Rocket and Feta on Ciabatta
Make this will a large ciabatta loaf and slice the sandwich in portions.
½ aubergine, sliced lengthways into 1cm in thickness
2 tbsp basil pesto
Rocket and other salad leaves
25g feta, crumbled
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts, toasted
2 tbsp lemon mayonnaise
Ciabatta roll, sliced
Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
Sprig of rosemary
- To prepare the aubergine, heat a large frying pan with a little olive oil over medium heat. Dust the slices of aubergine in a little flour, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dust the excess flour off. Place in the frying pan and sauté until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper.
- Place the ciabatta roll on a plate or board, spread over the basil pesto, add a slice of aubergine, add the rocket leaves and feta. Mix together the celery, hazelnuts and lemon mayonnaise. Add another slice of aubergine, and the celery hazelnut mayonnaise. Add flat leaf parsley. End by placing the top on the roll. Insert a skewer or rosemary sprig.
Muffuletta Style Roll
You can make a large version in a round loaf to take on a picnic.
1 large round bread roll
1tbsp basil pesto
1 tomato, sliced thinly
2 slices mozzarella
5 olives, sliced
3 sundried tomato halves, sliced
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 slice prosciutto
- Slice the bread roll in half.
- Spread over the basil pesto on the base of the bread roll, layer with tomato slices and mozzarella. Add the sliced olives and sundried tomatoes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle with some parsley and layer over the prosciutto. Place the top of the bread roll on the prosciutto tightly and wrap in plastic wrap over night. When ready to serve, slice into 2.