Sweet Potato and Beetroot Salad with Hazelnut Dressing
There is plenty of goodness in sweet potatoes – Vitamin C, B3, B5 and B6, – all the B’s have great energy releasing properties. The hazelnuts are also good as a vitamin E source but they will give you an increase level of energy.
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tsp chopped thyme
1 medium orange, zest only
60g garden salad leaves – including baby spinach and rocket leaves
100g cooked wild rice
1 medium cooked beetroot, sliced into wedges
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing, check the seasoning and pour into a bottle, shake and set aside.
- Place the diced sweet potato on a roasting pan, add the sliced garlic, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle over the thyme. Add the orange zest. Roast for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and set aside until slightly cooled.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a serving platter, spoon over the sweet potato and sprinkle over the wild rice and arrange the beetroot wedges. Sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds.
- Just before serving, spoon over some dressing and serve immediately.
Tip: Flaked grilled salmon is just delicious added to this summery salad.
Nut free alternative dressing:
Green Herb Dressing
A large bunch of herbs of your choice (i.e. basil or coriander)
300ml light-tasting oil (i.e. sunflower, light olive oil)
200ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a litre of water to the boil then plunge in the herbs and stir gently.
- Leave them for 2 seconds, strain through sieve.
- Tip the herbs into a bowl of chilled water and leave them to chill, gently stirring once.
- Remove them and drain well, then pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Place them in a liquidiser with the oil and blend for 30 seconds.
- Leave them to sit for 10 minutes, and then strain through a fine sieve into a clean jar/bottle.
- Stir in the extra-virgin olive oil and its ready to drizzle.