Spring Carrot Salad with Maple Dressing
This is making the best of our fabulous tender spring carrots as well as incorporating other vegetables and salad leaves with a sweet maple dressing.
100g of your favourite salad leaves (cos, mizuna, mint leaves and rocket)
3 carrots, trimmed, peeled into ribbons
4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped into thirds
3 beetroots, cooked and sliced into thin wedges
50g green beans, trimmed
100g feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp pinenuts, toasted
For the dressing
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 tsp thyme, chopped
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Arrange the leaves on a serving platter, arrange the carrots, spring onions, beetroot wedges and beans on top, drizzle over some dressing and sprinkle over the feta and then the toasted pinenuts. Serve immediately.
Tip: Add crispy chive croutons made from soda bread to the salad. Chives grow very well in pots as well.
Vegetables are not only savoury so by adding beetroot to brownies it gives a lovely deep ruby colour and earthy taste.
150g caster sugar
150g chocolate, broken
1 medium beetroot, cooked and grated
150g self-raising flour, sieved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Brush the base of a 20cm shallow, square baking tin with melted butter and line with baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water (bain marie) until smooth. Cool the chocolate mix slightly. Stir the chocolate into the egg mixture, taking care not to “scramble” the eggs. Fold in the grated beetroot and flour.
- Pour into the baking tin, spreading evenly. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until just set.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- Take back the parchment from the edges and cut into squares.
Tip: add 3 tbsp chopped dried apricots to the mix.